Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Would you want to know?

In Wales, they test newborns for a variety of genetic diseases, including MD. I was reading an article by a lady who had it done and her son was shown to have DMD. She was upset that they weren't given more information beforehand to make a more informed decision, and ultimately, she said she wishes she hadn't known that he had this disease so soon. She said that she never got to fully enjoy her son because they had the diagnosis hanging over their heads.

I can see what she's saying. While I would have liked to have known maybe two years earlier (just to have started treatments sooner), at least we had 7 years of blissful ingorance. Because once you know, it DOES overshadow everything. I don't think I would have wanted to know right away-BUT on the other hand, I don't think I would feel the same way if my second child had been a boy who also had DMD. At least if you have the knowledge before you have any more children, you can make the choice to have more, or to try other methods that would make another child with DMD less of a possibility. (Of course, none of this is to say I wish we didn't have Seth-that's not at all how I feel or my point-but I think you probably know that). But we probably wouldn't have had the means to do those other methods and may have just chosen not to have any more, and then we wouldn't have Anna, and that is unthinkable.

Another woman commented on that original article and said that she misses the days before they knew. She said that the kids have had happiness since the diagnosis, but she and her husband had not. They had NO happiness. Which is sad. I hope that I don't look back and say that. Obviously I will never be happy with the situation, but I hope that we can still find happiness in our lives.

1 comment:

kmitran said...

Phew! I knew I had a Google account but it took me awhile to figure out what the password was!

Anyway, I really am not in your shoes but I don't think I would want to know. It's kind of like when they offer those tests while your pregnant for Downs and stuff. I always figured it wasn't going to make a difference. It's not like I would have terminated the pregnancy if things came back positive.