Friday, February 26, 2010

Another doctor?

Seth has been having trouble in school. Not academically, his teacher says he's right or ahead of where he should be. No, he has trouble listening, focusing on his work, settling down once he gets going, just basically doing what he's supposed to be doing. It's been gradually getting worse, he's been getting more notes home as the year has progressed. Tonight his teacher actually called me because he had such a bad week and she just wanted to talk about it. I was hoping it would get better as the year went on, but that's just not happening.

I hate to say it, but I think it's time to get him evaluated for ADHD. It's definitely not uncommon in boys with DMD to also have attention issues. The two main things I think he has going on (and even struggles with at home) are staying focused and impulse control. I sometimes think it's the kind of thing that if you take a kid in, they're going to come out with a diagnosis...hopefully that's not the case. I really want meds to be the last resort, but if that's what will help him, then I suppose we'll come around.

Anyway. It's definitely not something I want to have him go through, but obviously I know there are worse things in the world. And school's just going to get harder and require MORE focus, so I don't want to keep waiting and then he has to struggle even longer. Like his teacher said, it's a good thing he's so smart...but smart will only take him so far if he doesn't get things done. I think I'll talk to his pediatrician about it next week (sometimes it's nice to work in the same office as her, for sure!)

No comments: