Sunday, August 15, 2010

Therapy frustration

I have not always been thrilled with the rehabilitation program we use for Seth.  Or I should say, we are forced to use for Seth, because it's pretty much the only one in town that treats kids with DMD, and the only one in town that has an aqua therapy component.  First there was the whole head gash thing, then that therapist and another one left around the same time, so they had no dedicated peds therapists so he had a parade of about three different ones (one of which must not work with little boys at ALL, she seemed to be at a loss as to how to keep him on task and interested).  I really do like the one they have now, but they are still not sure if she's going to be staying on full time into the fall or not...so there's all of that. 

Friday, I got a call from Seth's aqua therapist.  She really is great, Seth loves her, she can keep him interested for the whole hour session, she really knows her stuff....yeah, so she's quitting.  She's going to a land based therapy office-I didn't ask if she would see peds there or not, but they don't do aqua, so...not that it matters, since apparently they don't have anybody to take her place at the pool yet. 

I understand people leave, but it seems like MORE people leave from this particular place.  I have heard it's because they don't treat their therapists that well-make them see too many patients, too much paperwork, I'm sure they can get paid better at private institutions...and they don't have any plan in place whatsoever if somebody DOES decide to leave, so it's a big scramble.  It all frustrates me greatly.  So for now I guess he'll just do land therapy...I am going to look into Mary Free Bed in Grand Rapids-maybe, hopefully, they do late afternoon appointments so I wouldn't have to take him out of school really early, because it's about a half hour away on a good weather, good traffic day.  We'll just have to see what happens, I suppose.

No comments: