Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanksgiving

So Chappie got a turkey from work and suggested we do Thanksgiving. For everybody. I told him I have never even cooked a whole chicken, so maybe I should have a couple practice runs first...meaning at some point (NOT Thanksgiving) we could make the turkey here.

He told his sister we're going to have our own Thanksgiving here! So now, not only do I have to cook, but I feel totally antisocial and I hope they don't think it was MY idea. He said we could go over later...but they're having dinner at three and there's no way I'm eating that early if I'm cooking it.

Speaking of...why do we have to eat at a weird time just because it's a holiday? I never cared before I had kids, but 3 is right in the middle of Anna's nap and I don't think she wants to get up to eat a huge meal in the middle of the afternoon. At least it's better than MIL...we eat at NOON there! NOON! Who can eat all that at noon?

Anyway. So we have an almost 13 pound turkey for four people...one of whom won't eat ANY turkey and the other who may eat an ounce or two. I stocked up on freezer bags.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Good luck! Im going to buy a turkey this week just too cook for us sometime. Dont know how well that will go.
I could eat turkey all day. We are eating at 1:00 and that sounds right to me. Then I can eat all day. lol. :-) Enjoy your own thanksgiving!

Lisa said...

i like to start early too - 1-2pm cause the left over at 4- -5 -- 6- 7- 8- are even better :)

Jill said...

I think the early afternoon bit comes from people starving themselves allll day? You'll do ok. Turkeys really are easy. It is the sides and desserts that bog me down. Good luck!

Kathleen said...

Give yourself extra cooking time with the turkey. The couple times I cooked a chicken it always seems like it wasn't done and I have to cook it more. Never did get one to come out right. So...good luck! LOL